Wednesday, February 10, 2021

American Dirt

 by Jeanine Cummins





I normally read the jacket covers before reading a book, just to get an idea of what the book is about. I didn't on this one, and I am so glad I made that choice. I was hooked from the first page forward. I loved reading of Lydia's bookstore; the bathroom scene at home was gripping. When Lydia realized she needed to take her son, Luca, and disappear, every scene was well thought out, and I found relying on gut instinct amazing, and learning the ways of migrants along her journey helped in making her choices.

I will be the first to admit that I have always felt that illegals entering the States is not right, but I was forced to admit that sometimes there is no other way. I never saw that coming.

Lydia and Luca's trek is filled with danger as they jump onto and from the tops of trains, along with encountering people they run into and away from throughout their trip. Lydia finds that everyone is not who they say they are, making it difficult to know just who to trust making choices from the best of bad.

I cannot imagine living in a third-world country that is filled with corruption on every level. I cannot imagine the danger that even middle-class people encounter on an every-day basis.

I consider this book life-changing, mind-blowing and a must-read.

No comments:

Post a Comment